Carbon Monoxide Danger
MODERN PURAIR®

Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week (Nov. 1-7)

November 1-7 is Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week.

Carbon Monoxide is an odourless, colourless, and tasteless gas that comes from the incomplete combustion of any fuel that contains carbon.  In your home, this could come from your furnace, dryer, water heater, oven, wood-burning stove, charcoal grill, or your automobile.

Carbon Monoxide can kill you.  Here are a some important facts and tips that could save your family’s life:

  • One of the greatest things you can do to protect your family from carbon monoxide poisoning is having properly functioning Carbon Monoxide Detectors in your home.  You should have a minimum of one Carbon Monoxide Detector on each floor, one in or just outside each sleeping area, and one in the basement.
  • You should check gas appliances annually for proper operation and venting.
  • Change your furnace filter regularly (typically once every three months)
  • Do not use unvented gas and wood stoves or charcoal grills indoor.
  • Do not run automobiles or other gas-powered equipment indoors.
  • Carbon Monoxide deprives the heart, brain, and body of the oxygen it needs to function.
  • Low-level carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms includes headaches, nausea, weakness, dizziness, and confusion. 
  • Higher-level carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms include lack of coordination, chest pain, vomiting, loss of consciousness, and death.

For more information, please visit the Canada Safety Council.